Sunday, June 17, 2007

Begin the Beguine

Ah, where, in fact, to begin? First of all, a very Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. Well done, you! You've made beautiful children (I've seen pictures, you know) and put parts of yourselves into them, and look at how cool they're turning out!

Yesterday MuNKi and I celebrated our 17th anniversary by going to a big party with about 150 people, most of whom we didn't know. There was food and drink and song and dance, and a great time was had by all. Well, yes, it was someone else's wedding reception, but that didn't stop us having a smashing good time. ^_^ I think the happy couple chose a very auspicious date.

The kids were hesitant to dance in public at first, but after they got liquored up a bit (OK, not really) they were shaking their booties with the best of them. I didn't know they had those kinds of moves. I think the part that made me glow the brightest, though, was having several different people come up to us over the course of the evening and compliment us on the children and their behaviour. That is really a wonderful feeling, and I need to remember to make it a point of doing it myself whenever the opportunity arises. :)

My reading spree has grown to nearly heroic proportions as I finished all 979 (oversized) pages of The Fiery Cross and went on to burn through Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by the next day. Now I'm on to Harry #2. I'd forgotten just how delightful the books are. So much better than the movies. I mean, the movies aren't bad, but the books are just so much better. Rowling truly is a gifted writer.

Once again I have pictures to post that I need to dink around with first, so maybe I'll get them up next time. Have a gorgeous Sunday!

12 comments:

armalicious said...

Happy Anniversary to you and MuNKi (and happy father's day to him, too)! That link is hilarious! 17 years? That is amazing, Candace. I'm glad that your children are so well behaved in public. There are so many kids out there that once they get somewhere away from their house, they become crazy animals. It's definitely a mark of good parenting when the kids can still be kids, but not make fools out of themselves at the same time.

I agree with you about the HP books vs. the movies. The movies are entertaining, but they leave so much important stuff out. I know when I go see the next movie next month, I'm going to be saying "that didn't happen in the book!" and "they left that part out of the movie!!"

Trundling Grunt said...

Happy Anniversary to you and the Munkman. It's a constant source of mystery where kids get their moves from given our, well my, decrepit state.

And yes it's lovely when people complement you on your children. And if it happens repeatedly - well, you must be doing something right!

Jay said...

Happy Anniversary.

Water went down the wrong hole when I read the part about your kids getting liquored up.

Claire said...

LOL! Who are those people in that pic link? I let my kids drink too, not! (Uh, except for the one that's 21!)
I almost always like the book better. But lots of times I'll read a book and think it would be a good movie.
Diesel is reading Foreigner which is book #1 in the series.
Happy Anniversary! My 22nd (23rd when talking to the kids) was this month as well. ;)

C said...

Amanda - Thank you. :)

Oooh, I'm almost done with #3 and again, I'm marvelling at how much better the plot is. Yep, I'll be right there with you going "HEY! That's not right!" But they're still enjoyable. :)

TG - Thank you. :) Heh, yeah, I think the younger and more uninhibeted they are about embarrassing themselves, the more spectacular the moves. ^_^

Jay - Thank you. :) I hope you didn't blow a lung out coughing that up. ^_^ They did hit the coffee bar pretty hard.

Claire - OHHHhhh! OK, now I get it. Must be the complexity of the one word titles that's getting me. ^_^ I have no idea who those people are. I Googled "naked wedding" I think. ^_^

I got a chuckle out of your revised anniversary dates. :)

Anonymous said...

That is really a wonderful feeling, and I need to remember to make it a point of doing it myself whenever the opportunity arises

Giving compliments or behaving yourself in public?

Happy anniversary!

tshsmom said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!

jali said...

Hooray for you two!

Mu coworkers and I have a Sci-fi book club and each member gets to choose a book to read. Last time we read "Starship Troopers", something that I would have NEVER considered reading, but thoroughly enjoyed. The only other Heinlein I've read was "Stranger...Land". Our current read is "Ender's Game."

I'd love to see your summer reading list!

C said...

Kitkat - Both. ^_^
Thank you! :)

Tshsmom - thanks! :)

Jali - Oooh, lucky you! Ender's game is one of my top all-time faves! Are you enjoying it? I should try Starship Troopers. I bet it's better than the movie. In the movie all I could think was, "why the hell don't they just blow up the asteroid instad of invading it? It's not like they need to claim it as valuable land."

Jacob said...

Ha! Yeah, brings back old Sicilian childhood memories. I was addicted to scotch by the age of five. Yeah, some of that stuff had been in the bottle twice as long as I'd been alive. I was always impressed. My little sisters were more into the Jewish side of the family: Mogan David. They swear by it to this day. :)

C said...

What about Maneschewitz? So I have cheap taste. So sue me. Yummmmm. . . Manischewitz blackberry wine. . . :)

Maybe that's the key to really good scotch - it has to be at least twice your own age. Hmmm. . .

Anonymous said...

Greets!

It is my first time here. I just wanted to say hi!