Saturday, January 21, 2006

Days of Slush and Snow

Last night it rained for several hours, then, from the sounds of things, it rained ice for a while, and then it snowed. Bad combo, usually, and I was dreading taking Trillian in to the vet (infected toe) but when I got onto 8 Mile it was surprisingly great - just wet, not slippery. Which is really good, cuz I almost piled it into a sign at that corner after the last snow. It gets really slick there sometimes.

There was a crazy guy plowing the vet's parking lot (zoom! zoom!) but he kindly let me cross without gunning his truck into me. Trillian, meanwhile, hid under the towel in her carrier. In fact, she wouldn't come out, so I had to disassemble her cage, which takes no time, and then reassemble it, which takes about 4.5 hours - OK, not quite that bad, but you'd be surprised at how many hands you really need to do this easily. I swear it's easier to fix F-16s -- unless it's an engine change. They didn't charge me for her visit, only her meds, and the Dr. took out her tummy stitches so she wouldn't have to wait for them to fall out. All is well other than the infected toe. She has to take an antibiotic every 12 hours for 14 days. It's banana flavoured (no I didn't taste it, I'm going by smell) and she loathes it. So I've got that going for me. Good thing for me that she's down to 12 claws instead of 24.

Last night we watched (well I watched, John did a pretty major eyelid inspection) Beyond Borders. (Clive Owen, Angelina Jolie) It started out pretty much just disturbing, then got interesting with plenty more disturbing stuff right in there, but I don't like bad endings. I just don't. I spent the night dreaming alternate endings, all of which would have been preferable. Actually, I don't really remember, but I did dream something about the movie. OK, mostly just Clive Owens's eyes. There might not have been any story at all, come to think of it. But it was still better than the end of the movie. I was glad to find out that the baby was a healthy boy who'd been CGId, but of course there are real babies in that kind of shape and possibly worse, so it's not as much of a comfort as you'd hope. And I suppose that's the main point of this movie. Then again, maybe not, for the main point seems to be the love story - at least that's what it comes down to in the end. It does make you feel like finding some way to help, though.

No comments: