Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Does That Hurt?

I can hear it happening upstairs *smack* "Does that hurt?" *smack* "Does THAT hurt?" What is up with that? (yes, I put a stop to it) Children can be so very weird. The other day during lunch, The Prawn (4) suddenly turned to Fishy (6) and started whaling (walin' - exactly what word is that, anyway??) on his back with her fists. She wasn't mad or anything, just felt like lightin' him up, I guess. He didn't bat an eye. Now I'm not sure whether this was because A) she is 4 and has muscles as effective as limp cappellini or B) she does this sort of thing all the time and he's used to it and I just haven't noticed. I hope it's A. Scary. We had a brief talk. Brief is all that works with a 4 yo or they'll space out and forget the last 5 pieces of info you taught them. Actually, I think that's true of any age.

I'm slowly chewing through my queue of books in progress. I finished Beowulf, which would have been a very fast read had I not treated it like a magazine and read it 5 mins at a time. Good story and it was particularly interesting to see the bits that influenced Tolkien. I've decided that Artemis Fowl the Opal Deception is next to go down since it's the next fastest read, and then the SW book on loan and the Thos Covenant book 2 on through the end (for the third time around) and into the new book. I'm going to have to hurry, cuz I have a hankering to read the H2G2 books again, as well as the Dune series. Zoiks. No shortage of reading in my future. Sad thing is, I write more than read these days, so I haven't been making very good progress through my list.

I've been listening to Green Day's "Wake me Up When September Ends" fairly incessantly because a) it's a great song and b) it's one of the few songs I can play from the album with the kids listening. I'm sure it's no accident that the song is #11 on the album, but I've been wondering about the lyrics. Does he mean that this is all one big September ever since the war started, and please just wake him when it's all over? 7 years has gone so fast, 20 years has gone so fast - predicting a longer more drawn-out thing than anyone imagined? I saw the vid online and it's a guy signing up with the army - girlfriend gets mad. Are the time references about waiting for him to get out of Basic Training, and then maybe he ends up signing for 7 yrs, then 20 (for retirement?) I guess somewhere there's prolly an explanation of these things. So that's prolly what I'll be looking for next.

Last night at TKD we had quite the workout. I think my heart was sore afterwards! We did some really good sparring drills and sweated a lot. Today I jump-roped a bit longer than usual and practiced my pushing spinning back-kick and now my calf muscles are not happy. I taught class this morning and reffed for sparring this evening. It's fun reffing and very satisfying when the kids are able to take coaching and apply it.

Sounds like the kids are doing MadLibs. "I need 6 adjectives." "Prickly, cold, hot, spicy, pink, green." "6 nouns." "Mold, poster, hair, lightbulb, trophy, toaster." Okaaaay. Should be a fun one! :o)

I can never do short posts.

Back, I am, and with song meaning information. (says the wise Yoda)
Thank you Wikipedia.

"The song was co-written by the members of Green Day (with Billie Joe Armstrong writing the lyrics), and was co-produced by Green Day and Rob Cavallo. There once was much debate about what this song was about. However, Billie Joe has confirmed to the mass public that the song was written as a memorial anthem about his father, a jazz musician and minor league baseball catcher, who died when Billie Joe was only ten years old.
In this melancholy ballad, Billie Joe, backed by the support of the other members of Green Day, takes a trip back to his painful childhood and thinks about the day he lost his innocence when his father died. Like any traumatic event, Billie Joe never truly recovered, and he can't believe that twenty years have passed since the day. As Armstrong associates pain with the month September, the death month of his father, he would rather not deal with anything related to the month prompting him to sing, "As my memory rests, but never forgets what I lost... Wake me up when September ends...""


They touch on the "ambiguous meaning" and the military theme of the vid as well. OK, so maybe SEAL was right - use as needed. *shrugs*

Speakinawhich, Tony Levin has a very amusing website.

5 comments:

Jay said...

Wow, you're so informative today!

The first story about your kids reminds me (sadly) of me and my husband. By now, I've half-convinved him that my punches just mean I love you.

And when my heart "hurts" after a good workout, I try to remember that actually, my heart loves me right then. Or, I'm having a heart attack. Whichever.

begins with v said...

when I first started to read i thought you were in an apartment and could hear the man upstairs beating his wife!

C said...

LOL, Jay! You crack me up!! Hey, I found your food blog -oooooh, so many good new foods to try, so few mealtimes each day. :o)

Slade, that would be freaky. Ack! Nope, thank goodness, just child's play. Not sure if they were playing the hand-slapping game or if she was just dishing out random attempted abuse. . .

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can reach 2000 per day of income .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion who uses your money in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://izofigoquv.kogaryu.com/ukabup.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://oxyxodic.1accesshost.com/jiwinu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life