Monday, January 23, 2006

In Which I Totally Suck

Massive depression. Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap! I can't believe how much I suck. For the second time in 2.5 years, I've sent the stinking house payment to the wrong bloody place. The curse of online banking (for me) is that I mix up my lines sometimes when I'm paying bills. I could try to blame it on my astigmatism, or my blondeness, but really it just boils down to the sheer stupidity of not checking, double checking, triple checking, practicing some sort of useful form of OCD. . . Aaaaaargh! So the first time I sent the payment (to the right place) this month, it vanished. No payment made, money still in the account. Now I'm past the due date, so I try again. Success! It even shows as "pending" (and I still don't notice my error.) I get a few shutoff calls from a couple of different utilities (gas, electric) and a nastygram from DirecTV (but we're not renewing that one, so I don't care) and tell them I'll pay them within 7 days (after payday) and then, when John checks the account today, the payment still hasn't gone, but is in process for the WRONG farging place. It can't be stopped, even though it's not paying out until tomorrow. I guess on the bright side, the Gas (or Electric - whichever one it is, I can't keep 'em straight - they both have stupid Communist-sounding names) company is prolly going to be thrilled and love me forever. No that's not true. They benefitted from my last SNAFU, but they obviously had already forgotten their love for me when this latest payment was late. Sigh. So now, there's still a house pmt to make, plus all the late bills (except one of the Commie utilities) and not enough dough. (expletive!)

So now what? Credit card is shut off. (yeah, I suck) I guess I pay the mortgage from the second mortgage and then pay it back when I get the money back from the gas/electric place. (insert creative string of random curses here)

On a brighter note, my 6 year-old son (who does not suck) did some creative math today. It's fun to see how his brain works. He was looking at a Tae Kwon Do picture book we have and saw a white belt dino walking with a blue belt dino and said "he's a senior yellow belt ahead of him - no, a green belt!) OK, that was pretty cool. Here's the progression at our dojang: white, yellow, sr. yellow, green, blue, brown, sr. brown, red, sr. red, bo dan, black. So do you see his logic there? Pretty nifty, huh?

**Monty Python song starts now** "Always look on the Bright Side of Life, dun dun, dun dun dun dun dun dun. Always look on the Bright Side of Life, dun dun, dun dun dun dun dun dun. . ." (ad nauseum)

1 comment:

C said...

Maybe the store doors don't even open for you if you don't have the money. . . YK, a store was talking about doing this thing where your cart gets scanned as you walk through line and it automatically debits your acct and you just keep walking out the door. Too much room for error, though, for my taste. I knew a bunch of people online who freaked out and said that was the Mark of the Beast or something. Or maybe it was a move toward Global Economy and a Cashless Society. Or are those the same thing? :oP

I need a REAL TIME checking acct. where the money comes out when I use it (none of this "it takes 6 days to process an electronic payment" crap!) and I need a checking acct. with overdraft protection that isn't a lie. I swear mine advertised that it would just come out of savings if the checking went over, but no. They'd far rather (duh!)charge me $36 dollars (or whatever) for a $3.11 overdraft. Jerks. I SWEAR this thing had overdreaft protection. Not that that would help me, since I have $9 and change in savings. My main problem, though, is not so much overdreafts as just not having any $. :rolleyes:

Don't money orders cost $? I so like not having to buy stamps and sit down and hand write bills. I really do appreciate the convenience of online banking. When I don't royally screw it up, that is.